CBD for nausea
An online pharmacy should be about more than just prescriptions.
NowPatient is here to improve lives. Our service gives you access to smart features and resources that can help empower you to take control of your health and improve your health outcomes. All this, in one place, for FREE.
Nausea is a common symptom that can be caused by various medical conditions or certain treatments. It can be debilitating and greatly affect a person’s quality of life. While there are medications available to alleviate nausea, some people are turning to CBD as a natural alternative. CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found in the cannabis plant that has been gaining popularity for its potential therapeutic benefits. In this article, we will explore the research on the anti-nausea effects also known as the anti-emetic effects of CBD.
Before diving into the research, it’s important to understand the basics of CBD. CBD is one of the many cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), another well-known cannabinoid, CBD does not have psychoactive effects, meaning it won’t make you feel high.
CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS) consisting of a series of cannabinoid receptors and hormone-like compounds that control balance throughout the human body, sending signals through the central nervous system involved in regulating various physiological functions, including severe nausea and chronic pain.
CBD is available in different forms, including CBD oils, CBD capsules, CBD gummies, CBD topicals, CBD vaping and more. Each form has its own advantages and may be suitable for different individuals depending on their preferences and needs. It’s important to choose high-quality CBD products from reputable brands to ensure safety and efficacy.
While research on CBD oil for nausea is still in its early stages, there is growing evidence suggesting its potential benefits. Many studies have focused on the use of CBD in managing nausea and vomiting associated with cancer treatment, particularly chemotherapy-induced nausea.
One study conducted on animals found that CBD interacted with serotonin receptors in the brain, which play a role in regulating nausea and vomiting. This interaction resulted in a reduction in nausea and vomiting behaviors in the animals. Another study on human participants found that CBD, when combined with THC, was an effective treatment in reducing chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting compared to THC alone.
In addition to chemotherapy-induced nausea, CBD may also be beneficial for other types of nausea. Animal studies have shown that CBD may reduce nausea caused by motion sickness and toxin-induced nausea. However, more research is needed to fully understand the mechanisms of action and effectiveness of CBD for different types of nausea.
When it comes to choosing the best type of CBD product for nausea, there are a few options to consider. Full-spectrum CBD products contain all the cannabinoids, terpenes, and other beneficial compounds found in the cannabis plant, including THC. Broad-spectrum CBD products contain all the compounds except THC, making them a good option for those who want to avoid THC.
For individuals who prefer to avoid all trace amounts of THC, CBD isolate products may be the best choice. These products contain pure CBD and no other compounds. However, it’s worth noting that some studies suggest that THC and other cannabinoids may have synergistic effects with CBD, known as the entourage effect, which may enhance its therapeutic potential.
Pros and cons
As with any supplement or medication, CBD for nausea has its pros and cons. Some potential benefits of using CBD for nausea include:
- Natural alternative: CBD is derived from plants and is considered a natural alternative to traditional medications for nausea
- Fewer side effects: Compared to some medications, CBD may have fewer side effects, although individual responses may vary
- Potential anti-inflammatory properties: CBD has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, which may help reduce inflammation that can contribute to nausea
- May address underlying causes: CBD may address the underlying causes of nausea by interacting with the endocannabinoid system and regulating various physiological functions
However, it’s important to consider the potential drawbacks of using CBD for nausea, including:
- Lack of regulation: The CBD industry is not well-regulated, and there may be variations in the quality and potency of CBD products on the market
- Limited scientific evidence: While there is promising research, more studies are needed to fully understand the effectiveness of CBD for different types of nausea
- Individual responses may vary: CBD may not work the same way for everyone, and individual responses may vary depending on factors such as dosage, form of CBD, and the individual’s unique physiology
How to choose
Selection of the best CBD products for nausea should be based on several factors, including:
- Product quality: We considered the quality of the CBD products, including the sourcing of hemp, extraction methods, and third-party lab testing for purity and potency
- Customer reviews: We took into account customer reviews and feedback to ensure that the products have been well-received and effective for relieving nausea
- Formulation: We looked for CBD products specifically formulated for nausea relief, such as those containing terpenes or other natural ingredients known to have anti-nausea properties
- Brand reputation: We considered the reputation and track record of the brands, including their commitment to transparency, customer support, and adherence to industry best practices
How to shop
When shopping for CBD products for nausea, there are several factors to consider:
- Quality: Look for CBD products from reputable brands that use high-quality, organically grown hemp plants and conduct third-party lab testing to ensure purity and potency
- Type of CBD: Decide whether you prefer full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, or CBD isolate products, depending on your preference for THC content and potential entourage effects
- Dosage: Consider the dosage strength that best suits your needs and start with a lower dosage if you’re new to CBD
- Form: Choose a CBD product that aligns with your preferences, whether it’s oil drops, capsules, edibles, topicals, or other forms
- Customer reviews: Read customer reviews and feedback to get an idea of the effectiveness and satisfaction of the product
How to use
The method of CBD consumption may vary depending on the product. Here are some general guidelines:
- Oil drops or tinctures: Place the desired dosage under your tongue and hold it there for 60-90 seconds before swallowing
- Capsules: Swallow the capsule with water, following the recommended dosage instructions
- Edibles: Follow the instructions on the packaging for the recommended dosage and consumption method
- Topicals: Apply the CBD topical directly to the affected area and massage it into the skin until absorbed
It’s important to note that CBD affects individuals differently, and finding the right dosage and method of consumption may require some trial and error. Start with a lower dosage and gradually increase as needed.
Safety and side effects
CBD is generally considered safe, but it may cause some side effects in certain individuals. Common side effects of CBD may include drowsiness, dry mouth, diarrhea, and changes in appetite. It’s important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement, especially if you have underlying health conditions or are taking medications.
Additionally, it’s crucial to choose high-quality CBD products from reputable brands to ensure safety and efficacy. Always follow the recommended dosage instructions provided by the manufacturer and start with a lower dosage if you’re new to CBD.
When to call a doctor
If you experience severe or persistent nausea that doesn’t improve with CBD or other remedies, it’s important to consult with a healthcare professional. Nausea can be a symptom of an underlying health condition that may require medical attention. A healthcare professional can help determine the cause of your nausea and recommend appropriate treatment options.
Q: Is CBD legal?
A: The legal status of CBD varies by country and state. In the United States, CBD derived from hemp containing less than 0.3% THC is legal at the federal level, but it may be subject to regulations at the state level. It’s important to check the local laws and regulations regarding CBD in your area.
Q: Can CBD make you feel high?
A: CBD is not psychoactive and does not produce a “high” feeling. THC is the compound responsible for the psychoactive effects of cannabis. CBD products that contain less than 0.3% THC are unlikely to cause intoxication.
Q: Can I take CBD with other medications?
A: CBD has the potential to interact with certain medications. It’s important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking CBD if you are currently taking any medications to avoid any potential interactions.
Q: How long does it take for CBD to work for nausea?
A: The onset and duration of CBD’s effects can vary depending on the individual and the method of consumption. Some people may experience relief from nausea within minutes, while others may require longer. It’s recommended to start with a lower dosage and gradually increase as needed to find the optimal dose for you.
CBD shows promise as a potential natural remedy for nausea. While research is still ongoing, many people have reported finding relief from nausea with the use of CBD products. It’s important to choose high-quality CBD products from reputable brands and consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement. Finding the right dosage and method of consumption may require some experimentation, as individual responses to CBD can vary. If you experience severe or persistent nausea, it’s important to seek medical attention to determine the underlying cause.
- CBD for Nausea: Research and Best Products
- Relieve Nausea with the Amazing Effects of CBD – Fusion CBD Products
NowPatient has taken all reasonable steps to ensure that all material is factually accurate, complete, and current. However, the knowledge and experience of a qualified healthcare professional should always be sought after instead of using the information in this page. Before taking any drug, you should always speak to your doctor or another qualified healthcare provider.
The information provided here about medications is subject to change and is not meant to include all uses, precautions, warnings, directions, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or negative effects. The absence of warnings or other information for a particular medication does not imply that the medication or medication combination is appropriate for all patients or for all possible purposes.
What is NowPatient
Telehealth and Online Pharmacy
NowPatient is a licensed online pharmacy and doctor service that is available around the world. Our service is FREE and packed with useful features that can benefit your health like medication reminders, medically approved symptoms checker, UK NHS online pharmacy, private treatment plans, Rx Advantage card, health conditions information, genetic testing, home test kits, health risks, pollen meter, air quality monitor, and lots more!
WHY WE BUILT NOWPATIENT
To improve the lives of everyone by making high-quality care accessible and convenient
We are here to improve lives. Our service gives you access to smart features and resources that can help empower you to take control of your health and improve your health outcomes. All this, in one place, for FREE. We strive to bring a fresh perspective to managing health. NowPatient can be accessed by downloading the App or using your web browser.
Download our app today
Can I trust NowPatient
Meet our medical review team
Trustworthy and reliable medical content authored and reviewed by our experienced team of medical professionals from the United Kingdom and the United States. Learn more about our team and our editorial process by clicking on the buttons below.