With NowPatient's private treatment plans you can treat Premature Ejaculation with EMLA ® safely and easily in a few simple steps. Get started by selecting the medication you are interested in or by hitting the start consultation button below.
We connect you to a prescribing clinician by secure video link who will spend time with you to understand your requirements and ensure that EMLA ® is appropriate, safe and effective for you. The consultation is FREE and you only ever pay for the medication, if it is prescribed. Medications are supplied and delivered discreetly by NowPatient.
The MHRA's reporting program for suspected side effects to medicines, vaccines, e-cigarettes, medical device incidents, defective or falsified (fake) products to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency to ensure safe and effective use.Learn more about reporting side effects
Other known brand names
About Emla cream
Emla numbing cream contains two active substances, lidocaine and prilocaine, which are classed as local anaesthetics. Together they have a numbing effect on the skin for a short time, which provides pain relief during medical procedures such as blood tests and needle procedures.
Emla cream can also be used to:
- Numb the skin before having a wart removed
- Cleanse or remove damaged skin caused by leg ulcers
- Numb the skin when having a tattoo
- Numb the sensitive area on the head of your penis to reduce sensitivity and prolong time until ejaculation. This is an off label use, meaning it is being used to treat a condition other than what it was licensed to treat
Now Patient offers Emla cream as a treatment for premature ejaculation only, following an online consultation with a prescribing clinician.
Key facts of Emla cream
- For the treatment of premature ejaculation
- Emla cream can take 30 to 60 minutes to have a numbing effect
- Emla cream has some common side effects which include local skin reactions on the genital area
- It can be dangerous if you use Emla cream with certain medications. If you’re not sure if it is safe, discuss this with the prescribing clinician
Who is Emla cream not suitable for?
Emla cream may not be suitable for some people. To make sure it’s safe for you, speak to the prescribing clinician before using Emla cream if you:
- Are allergic to the active ingredients lidocaine or prilocaine, or the inactive ingredients, such as macrogolglycerol hydroxystearate, sodium hydroxide or purified water
- Have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
- Have methaemoglobinaemia
- Have a skin rash, cut, grazes or other open wounds
- Have skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis
- Take medication for heart rhythm disorders such as amiodarone
How and where to get Emla cream?
Emla cream is available from a number of sources. It is available on prescription or over the counter at a pharmacy.
Now Patient does not allow customers to buy Emla cream directly. Our service is certified, safe and effective, and we only ever treat conditions. If you book a consultation with a prescribing clinician for the treatment of premature ejaculation, you can discuss if Emla cream is a suitable treatment option for you.
At the end of the consultation, the clinician will decide if a treatment plan is suitable for you. If it is, the clinician will issue you with a prescription which can then be ordered, paid for and delivered directly to your chosen address by Now Patient.
Dosage and strength for Emla cream for premature ejaculation
Emla cream is available in 5g tubes and 30g tubes, containing 25mg/g of lidocaine and 25mg/g of prilocaine.
Information about how to use Emla cream for premature ejaculation
Emla cream is applied to the sensitive area of skin on the head of your penis to reduce skin sensitivity and prolong the time to ejaculation. Read the patient information leaflet provided with your medication or speak to a healthcare professional for further information.
What happens if you use too much Emla cream?
If you use more than prescribed, then it can lead to some unpleasant side effects. You should talk to your doctor or reach out to one of our prescribing clinicians, if you have used too much Emla cream and experience any of the following side effects:
What are the side effects of Emla cream?
Side effects of Emla cream are split into common and serious.
Common side effects include:
- Paleness or redness of the skin
- Burning, itching or warmth at the treated area
- Slight swelling of the skin
- Tingling sensation
- Skin irritation
- Small dot-shaped bleeding (more common on children with eczema, after prolonged application times)
Serious side effects include:
- Methaemoglobinaemia (more common in newborn infants and infants aged up to 12 months)
- Low blood pressure
If you experience any serious side effects, you should contact NHS 111.
If you experience a serious allergic reaction with the signs shown below you should contact emergency services on 999.
- Your lips, mouth, throat or tongue suddenly become swollen
- You’re breathing very fast or struggling to breathe (you may become very wheezy or feel like you’re choking or gasping for air)
- Your throat feels tight or you’re struggling to swallow
- Your skin, tongue or lips turn blue, grey or pale (if you have black or brown skin, this may be easier to see on the palms of your hands or soles of your feet)
- You suddenly become very confused, drowsy or dizzy
- Someone faints and cannot be woken up
Always report adverse effects to the MHRA yellow card reporting system. You can read more about this here How and where do I report side effects of my medication? – NowPatient
Information about using Emla cream at the same time as other medications or herbal supplements
There is not enough evidence to suggest there are any drug interactions between herbal supplements and Emla cream. In any event, you should let your prescribing clinician know if you are taking any herbal supplements.
Can Emla cream used for premature ejaculation be used long term?
Emla cream usually lasts for at least 2 hours once it is removed. Speak to your healthcare provider if you are considering using Emla cream long term.
Is there a herbal Emla cream?
No. Herbal Emla cream does not exist. If you have been marketed such a formulation, it may be fake.
Can women use Emla cream?
Women can use Emla cream to numb the skin for minor medical procedures. Lidocaine passes into breast milk. It is not known if prilocaine passes into breast milk. Speak to your doctor before breast-feeding.
Should I avoid any particular food or drink when taking Emla cream?
You can eat and drink normally when using Emla cream.
What lifestyle changes can I make to help me with premature ejaculation?
If you are suffering with premature ejaculation, you may try:
- Masturbating 1 to 2 hours before sex
- Use a thick condom to reduce sensitivity
- Taking a deep breath to temporarily stop the ejaculation
Alternatives to Emla cream
Alternatives for the treatment of premature ejaculation include LMX4, Denela, and Nulbia.
NowPatient has taken all reasonable steps to ensure that all material is factually accurate, complete, and current. However, the knowledge and experience of a qualified healthcare professional should always be sought after instead of using the information in this page. Before taking any drug, you should always speak to your doctor or another qualified healthcare provider.
The information provided here about medications is subject to change and is not meant to include all uses, precautions, warnings, directions, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or negative effects. The absence of warnings or other information for a particular medication does not imply that the medication or medication combination is appropriate for all patients or for all possible purposes.
People also asked
What is EMLA cream used for?
What are the disadvantages of EMLA cream?
How deep does emla cream numb?
What can I use instead of numbing cream?
How much EMLA cream can I use?
How long do you leave EMLA on?
What is the strongest numbing cream on the market?
How deep does EMLA cream go?
Why does numbing cream not work on me?
How long does numbing cream last after filling?
How long should emla cream be left on the skin before attempting to place an iv catheter?
How long does it take for numbing injections to wear off?
How long does numbing cream last after dentist?
Does emla cream soak in?
Do blood tests hurt with numbing cream?
What dressing do you use with emla cream?
What numbing cream do hospitals use?
Are numbing creams safe?
Can I get EMLA cream over the counter?
What is the strongest numbing cream you can buy over the counter?
What numbing cream is stronger than EMLA?
Why was EMLA discontinued?
Can I buy EMLA cream at a pharmacy?
How do you numb a private area?
Is emla cream stronger than lidocaine?
Is EMLA better than ice as a topical anesthetic?
Is EMLA better than lidocaine gel?
Can emla cream be used for nerve pain?
Do you need prescription for EMLA?
What is the strongest over the counter numbing cream?
What is the cost of EMLA cream?
How long does it take for numbing cream to stop working?
What can I use to numb my skin at home?
WHY WE BUILT NOWPATIENT
To improve the lives of everyone by making high-quality care accessible and convenient
We are here to improve lives. Our service gives you access to smart features and resources that can help empower you to take control of your health and improve your health outcomes. All this, in one place, for FREE. We strive to bring a fresh perspective to managing health. NowPatient can be accessed by downloading the App or using your web browser.
Download our app today
Can I trust NowPatient
Meet our medical review team
Trustworthy and reliable medical content authored and reviewed by our experienced team of medical professionals from the United Kingdom and the United States. Learn more about our team and our editorial process by clicking on the buttons below.