In today’s healthcare landscape, the cost of prescription medicines can be a significant burden for many individuals. Fortunately, there are patient assistance programs available to help alleviate this financial strain. One such program is the Bristol Myers Squibb Patient Assistance Foundation (BMSPAF). Whether you are applying for the first time or seeking continued assistance, this comprehensive guide will provide you with all the information you need to navigate the BMSPAF application process successfully.
Who is Eligible for the Bristol Myers Squibb Patient Assistance Foundation (BMSPAF)?
The BMSPAF is designed to assist patients who need Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) medications but lack the financial means to afford them. To be eligible for BMSPAF, you must meet certain criteria. These include:
- Income Requirements: Applicants must provide proof of their household income, which can be demonstrated through various documents such as Federal Tax Returns, 1099 forms, social security statements, pension statements, or two consecutive pay stubs. This documentation helps the foundation assess your financial eligibility
- Medicare Patients: If you are a Medicare patient, additional requirements apply. In addition to your application, you must submit documentation showing that you have spent at least 3% of your annual household income on out-of-pocket prescription expenses. This report can be obtained from your pharmacy. It’s important to note that this 3% out-of-pocket prescription expense is in addition to the other eligibility criteria
- Age and Income: Medicare patients who are 65 and over, have a household income lower than 150% of the 2024 federal poverty level, and have been prescribed a self-administered product must also provide proof of denial from the Medicare Part D Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) program, also known as “Extra Help,” before being considered for assistance from BMSPAF
How to apply for assistance
Applying for assistance from BMSPAF is a straightforward process. Whether you are a new applicant or seeking to renew your assistance, the foundation has made the application process as convenient as possible. Here’s how you can apply:
- Online Application: Visit the BMSPAF website and navigate to the “Apply for Assistance” section. Fill out the online application form, providing accurate and up-to-date information about yourself and your household. Be sure to attach the required income documentation to expedite the processing of your application
- Reapplying for Assistance: If you are already receiving medicine from BMSPAF and wish to reapply for assistance in 2024, simply visit the “Reapply for Assistance” tab on the website. Follow the instructions to submit your renewal application, ensuring that you include any updated income documentation
To ensure the smooth processing of your application, it is essential to provide the necessary documentation. Here are the documents you will need to include:
- Proof of Income: Submit your household income documentation, such as Federal Tax Returns, 1099 forms, social security statements, pension statements, or two consecutive pay stubs. This documentation helps the foundation assess your financial eligibility
- Out-of-Pocket Prescription Expenses: Medicare patients must also provide documentation showing that they have spent at least 3% of their annual household income on out-of-pocket costs for prescriptions. Your pharmacy can provide a report detailing these expenses. Remember, this 3% expense is in addition to other eligibility criteria
- Proof of Denial from Medicare Part D LIS Program: If you are a Medicare patient, 65 and over, with a household income lower than 150% of the 2024 federal poverty level, and have been prescribed a self-administered product, you must submit proof of denial from the Medicare Part D Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) program, also known as “Extra Help.”
The following medicines are available to eligible patients through the Bristol Myers Squibb Patient Assistance Foundation:
- ABRAXANE® (paclitaxel protein-bound particles for injectable suspension) (albumin-bound)
- AUGTYRO™ (repotrectinib)
- CAMZYOS® (mavacamten) †
- ELIQUIS® (apixaban)
- EMPLICITI® (elotuzumab)
- IDHIFA® (enasidenib)
- INREBIC® (fedratinib)
- ISTODAX® (romidepsin)
- NULOJIX® (belatacept)
- ONUREG® (azactidine) tablets
- OPDIVO® (nivolumab)
- OPDUALAG™ (nivolumab and relatlimab – rmbw)
- ORENCIA® (abatacept)
- POMALYST® (pomalidomide) *
- REBLOZYL® (luspatercept-aamt)
- REVLIMID® (lenalidomide) *
- SOTYKTU™ (deucravacitinib)
- SPRYCEL® (dasatinib)
- THALOMID® (thalidomide) *
- VIDAZA® (azacitidine) for injection
- YERVOY® (ipilimumab)
- ZEPOSIA® (ozanimod)
*REVLIMID® (lenalidomide), POMALYST® (pomalidomide) and THALOMID® (thalidomide) have additional requirements under the Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) program that are in place for these products. For additional information on the applicable REMS program, please contact the REMS Call Center at 1-888-423-5436 or visit REMS Programs Administered by Bristol Myers Squibb.
†CAMZYOS has additional requirements under the Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) program that are in place for this product. For additional information on the CAMZYOS REMS program, please contact the REMS Call Center at 1-833-628-7367 or visit CAMZYOS™ (mavacamten) REMS Program.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Can I apply for BMSPAF if I am not a Medicare patient?
Yes, BMSPAF assistance is available to both Medicare and non-Medicare patients. The eligibility criteria differ slightly for Medicare patients, as outlined earlier in this guide.
Q2: How long does it take to process a BMSPAF application?
The processing time for BMSPAF applications varies. However, including all required documentation, such as income proof and out-of-pocket prescription expense reports, can expedite the process. It is recommended to apply well in advance to allow for any unforeseen delays.
Q3: Can I apply for BMSPAF assistance if I have insurance coverage?
Yes, BMSPAF is designed to help individuals who are unable to afford their Bristol Myers Squibb medications, even if they have insurance coverage. However, each case is evaluated individually, and eligibility is determined based on the specific circumstances.
Q4: What happens after my application is approved?
If your application is approved, you will receive notification from BMSPAF. The foundation will work with you to arrange for the delivery of your prescribed medication. It is essential to provide accurate contact information to ensure smooth communication.
The Bristol Myers Squibb Patient Assistance Foundation (BMSPAF) is committed to providing assistance to individuals who need access to Bristol Myers Squibb medications but face financial barriers. By following the application process and providing the required documentation, you can increase your chances of receiving the necessary support. Remember to submit your application accurately and on time, keeping copies of all documentation for your records. If you have any further questions or need assistance, reach out to BMSPAF through their website or contact information provided. Take the first step towards affordable prescription drug access today.
NowPatient has taken all reasonable steps to ensure that all material is factually accurate, complete, and current. However, the knowledge and experience of a qualified healthcare professional should always be sought after instead of using the information in this page. Before taking any drug, you should always speak to your doctor or another qualified healthcare provider.
The information provided here about medications is subject to change and is not meant to include all uses, precautions, warnings, directions, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or negative effects. The absence of warnings or other information for a particular medication does not imply that the medication or medication combination is appropriate for all patients or for all possible purposes.
WHY WE BUILT NOWPATIENT
To improve the lives of everyone by making high-quality care accessible and convenient
We are here to improve lives. Our service gives you access to smart features and resources that can help empower you to take control of your health and improve your health outcomes. All this, in one place, for FREE. We strive to bring a fresh perspective to managing health. NowPatient can be accessed by downloading the App or using your web browser.
Download our app today
Can I trust NowPatient
Meet our medical review team
Trustworthy and reliable medical content authored and reviewed by our experienced team of medical professionals from the United Kingdom and the United States. Learn more about our team and our editorial process by clicking on the buttons below.