DonepezilPrices, Coupons & Savings
Mail Order Pharmacy
- MedicationYou saveUS ONLY
- DonepezilGeneric for AriceptRx5mg30 tablets $4.5 USD30 tablets $4.5 USD - 0.15 USD/tabletSave $85.80
- DonepezilGeneric for AriceptRx10mg30 tablets $3.9 USD30 tablets $3.9 USD - 0.13 USD/tabletSave $86.40
- DonepezilGeneric for AriceptRx23mg330 tablets $26.7 USD330 tablets $26.7 USD - 0.08 USD/tabletSave $966.60
Do you need a prescription for donepezil?
Yes, donepezil is only available with a valid physician Rx.
How much is donepezil without Insurance in the US?
Our website gives two competitive savings options to US customers who wish to purchase donepezil, as either a brand or generic, if available. The first is access to medications through our mail-order online pharmacy. The second is by using the Now Patient Rx Advantage Card, which can be used in over 65,000 pharmacies nationwide, across America. If you are insured, then in most cases, the cash price will be significantly cheaper than the copay.
What will my out-of-pocket cost be for donepezil in the US?
There are no out-of-pocket (OOP) costs because we are currently only offering a cash-based option to purchase medications.
Is Now Patient a donepezil savings card?
Yes. Save up to 90% on your donepezil with the FREE Now Patient Rx Advantage card*.
*Based on the difference between the U&C submitted by the pharmacy and the price the patients pay.
Can you handle Rx transfers for home delivery in the US?
Yes. If you use the mail-order online pharmacy option, then we can handle requests by you to have your prescription transferred to our pharmacy for home delivery. We can even help you manage your refills by giving you timely reminders, so you do not run out of your medication.
Is Now Patient a donepezil coupon provider in the US?
No. Now Patient does not provide donepezil coupons or FREE donepezil samples.
Do you accept commercial, Medicare or Medicaid coverage for donepezil in the US?
No. Currently, we only offer cash-based options for purchase, therefore we do not require your insurance benefit details. In the future, our plan is to be able to handle commercial insurance, Medicare and Medicaid including cases where you have multiple health plans that provide benefit coverage (e.g. Medicaid and Commercial). We also anticipate being able to handle more complex scenarios such as using primary insurance combined with a manufacturer copay assistance program.
Does Now Patient work with Medicare?
Our cash-based prices for medications are typically cheaper than Medicare copays. We do not bill Medicare Part D (standalone drug coverage) or Medicare Advantage (combined health and drug coverage). When you purchase your medication from Now Patient, you will be doing so out of your pocket. The spend will not count towards your plan deductibles or gaps.
Does Now Patient work with Commercial Insurance?
Our cash-based prices for medications are typically cheaper than commercial plan copays. We do not bill your commercial plan. When you purchase your medication from Now Patient, you will be doing so out of your pocket. The spend will not count towards your plan deductibles or gaps.
What should you do if you use too much donepezil?
Call your doctor right away or seek immediate medical attention if your symptoms do not improve or they become worse after using donepezil. You can also call 800-222-1222 to reach the American Association of Poison Control Centers or use its online resource if you think you’ve used too much donepezil. But if you have severe symptoms, call 911 (or your local emergency number) immediately or go to the nearest emergency room.
If you think it is an emergency, call 999 or find your nearest A&E
If you need help now, but it’s not an emergency go to 111.nhs.uk or call 111. Alternatively you can speak to one of our pharmacists or use the Now Patient app to make an appointment with your GP.
What should I do if I miss my dose?
There are occasions when people forget to take their medication at correct prescribed times. This may not only have an effect on potentially making the medication less effective but it may also inadvertently lead to taking doses too close together, thereby increasing the risks of side effects.
Click here to find out what to do if you forgot to take your medication
What is generic donepezil?
Generic donepezil refers to the non-brand-name version of the medication. It contains the same active ingredient as the brand-name drug but is typically less expensive.
FDA approval of donepezil
Donepezil is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of dementia associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
Active ingredient of donepezil
The active ingredient of donepezil is donepezil hydrochloride.
US brand name of donepezil and manufacturer
Donepezil is available in the US under the brand name Aricept. It is manufactured by Eisai Inc.
UK brand name of donepezil and manufacturer
In the UK, donepezil is available under the brand name Aricept. The manufacturer may vary depending on the brand name.
Prescription requirement for donepezil
A prescription (Rx) is required for donepezil in both the US and the UK.
Availability of donepezil in the UK with NHS prescription
Donepezil is available in the UK with an NHS prescription.
Conditions treated by donepezil
Donepezil is primarily used for the treatment of dementia associated with mild, moderate, or severe Alzheimer’s disease. It is not a cure for Alzheimer’s disease but can help improve cognitive function, memory, and daily living activities.
Off-label uses of donepezil include dementia with Lewy Bodies, Parkinson’s disease and vascular dementia.
How does donepezil work?
Donepezil belongs to a class of medications called acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. It works by increasing the levels of certain chemicals in the brain that are involved in memory, thinking, and learning.
Donepezil works by inhibiting the enzyme acetylcholinesterase, which breaks down acetylcholine in the brain. By doing so, it increases the availability of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter involved in attention and memory.
By increasing levels of acetylcholine, donepezil helps to enhance communication between neurons in the brain. This can improve cognitive function and may help to slow down or stabilize symptoms associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
Donepezil has been shown to have a positive impact on cognitive abilities such as memory and attention. It can help individuals with Alzheimer’s disease maintain their ability to perform everyday tasks for longer periods, allowing them greater independence and quality of life.
Forms of donepezil available
Donepezil is available in two main forms: oral tablets and orally disintegrating tablets (ODTs). Both forms contain the active ingredient donepezil hydrochloride but differ in their administration method.
- Donepezil oral tablets are the traditional form of this medication. These tablets are designed to be swallowed whole with water and are available in different strengths, including 5 mg tablets and 10 mg tablets. This form is suitable for patients who have no difficulty swallowing and can take the medication with ease. It is important to note that tablets should not be crushed, chewed, or broken before consumption to maintain their effectiveness
- For patients who have difficulty swallowing or may have oral motor dysfunction, donepezil is also available in orally disintegrating tablets (ODTs). These tablets dissolve quickly in the mouth without the need for water. They are a convenient option for patients who may have trouble swallowing traditional tablets
Dosage of donepezil
The dosage of donepezil may vary depending on the individual patient’s needs and the healthcare provider’s recommendations. Take donepezil exactly as directed by the healthcare professional.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose. Take your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Directions for donepezil use
Donepezil should be taken exactly as directed by the healthcare provider. The medication is usually taken once daily, preferably at bedtime, with or without food. It is important to swallow the tablet whole and not chew or crush it.
It is recommended to store donepezil at room temperature, away from moisture, heat, and direct light. Avoid storing it in the bathroom or kitchen, as these areas may have increased humidity and temperature fluctuations. By keeping it in its original packaging, you can ensure that the medication remains stable and safe for use.
Warnings and precautions for donepezil
- Donepezil may cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and dizziness. These side effects are usually mild and temporary. However, if they become severe or persistent, it is important to inform the healthcare provider
- Regular monitoring and follow-up are essential when prescribing donepezil. Assessing the patient’s response to treatment, monitoring for any adverse effects or changes in cognitive function, and making necessary adjustments in dosage are crucial steps in optimizing therapy outcomes
- It is important to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, and herbal supplements. They can evaluate the potential adverse effects and make necessary adjustments to your treatment plan to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the medications
- It’s essential to educate patients and caregivers and set realistic expectations about the medication’s benefits, highlighting that it may not completely reverse cognitive impairment but can potentially slow its progression
Drug interactions for donepezil
Here are some medications that should be avoided or used with caution when prescribing donepezil:
- Taking donepezil with medications that have anticholinergic effects may counteract its therapeutic benefits. Anticholinergic medications, such as certain antidepressants, antihistamines, and bladder control medications, can interfere with the actions of donepezil and worsen cognitive decline in patients with Alzheimer’s disease
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen and naproxen, are commonly used to relieve pain and inflammation. However, they can increase the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and ulcers, especially in elderly patients. When combined with donepezil, the risk of these complications may be further increased
- Beta-blockers, often prescribed for hypertension and certain heart conditions, may interact with donepezil and lead to decreased heart rate (bradycardia) and blood pressure. This can cause dizziness, fatigue, and other cardiovascular side effects. Close monitoring of blood pressure and heart rate is necessary when prescribing donepezil alongside beta-blockers, and dose adjustments may be required
- Donepezil can cause drowsiness as a side effect, and combining it with other sedating medications can increase the risk of excessive sedation and falls in elderly patients. Medications such as opioids, benzodiazepines, and muscle relaxants should be used with caution and at the lowest effective dose when prescribed alongside donepezil
Use of donepezil during pregnancy
The use of donepezil during pregnancy is not recommended. It is important to discuss the potential risks and benefits with a healthcare provider.
Use of donepezil while breastfeeding
It is unknown whether donepezil is excreted in human breast milk. Breastfeeding should be avoided during donepezil treatment.
Possible side effects of donepezil
In clinical trials common side effects of donepezil may include nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, vomiting, and insomnia. Possible rare but serious side effects may include muscle cramps or muscle weakness, slow heartbeat, fainting, seizures, difficulty urinating, and signs of an allergic reaction such as rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, and trouble breathing. Promptly report any concerning symptoms to a healthcare provider.
Similar drugs to donepezil
Other medications used for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease include rivastigmine and galantamine.
- FDA Prescribing Information for Donepezil
- MHRA product information for Donepezil
- WebMD – Donepezil
- Drugs.com – Donepezil
- NHS UK
Now Patient has taken all reasonable steps to ensure that all material is factually accurate, complete, and current. However, the knowledge and experience of a qualified healthcare professional should always be sought after instead of using the information in this page. Before taking any drug, you should always speak to your doctor or another qualified healthcare provider.
The information provided here about medications is subject to change and is not meant to include all uses, precautions, warnings, directions, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or negative effects. The absence of warnings or other information for a particular medication does not imply that the medication or medication combination is appropriate for all patients or for all possible purposes.
About Now Patient
Now Patient’s online services are available in the US and UK. We help you manage your prescriptions, doctor appointments, test results, health risks, and a lot more, all in one place for FREE. If you are in the United States, you could enjoy savings using Now Patient’s mail-order pharmacy or use the Now Patient Rx Advantage Card at over 65,000 pharmacies, with savings of up to 90% on popular FDA-approved brand and generic medications like Ozempic, Mounjaro, clopidogrel and lots more. We do not currently handle commercial insurance, Medicare or Medicaid. UK NHS and private prescriptions are delivered FREE of charge across England & Wales by our UK NHS online pharmacy.
We are here to improve lives. Our service gives you access to smart features & resources that can help empower you to take control of your health and improve your health outcomes. All this, in one place, for FREE. We strive to bring a fresh perspective to managing health. Not play by the rules. Now Patient can be accessed by downloading the App or using your web browser.